Top Left Design is now supporting a charity called Penny On. It’s a simple scheme which allows people to donate 1 penny extra whenever they are out shopping. Within retail outlets, barcodes are setup and the cashier can scan the extra barcode when the customer indicates they would like to participate. The extra penny goes towards good causes.
Penny on is the single most brilliantly simple way of enabling effortless giving at the point of sale. It supports local and international sustainable initiatives that align with The Millennium Development Goals. The eight MDGs break down into 21 quantifiable targets that are measured by 60 indicators.
- Goal 1: Eradicate extreme poverty and hunger
- Goal 2: Achieve universal primary education
- Goal 3: Promote gender equality and empower women
- Goal 4: Reduce child mortality
- Goal 5: Improve maternal health
- Goal 6: Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
- Goal 7: Ensure environmental sustainability
- Goal 8: Develop a global partnership for development
By focusing on the retail sector Penny On is maximising its scale and influence with the public as a whole.
As a Business Supporting Penny On, Top Left Design is now playing a role in providing working capital. This will mean that when consumers are invited to add a penny on when making a purchase, this money will go directly to invest in local and international development.
It was very easy to sign up – we invested a small amount of money and we are going to help spread the word via events and social media.
If you would like more information on how you can help out, please get in touch.
Love this idea!