This post was written by Rhea Lempert, who did 2 weeks of work experience in February 2015 at Top Left Design.
My internship experience and first hand tips
Hi! My name is Rhea, I am fourteen and interested in design and copywriting. After spending a very fast two week placement at TLD, I’ve experienced a part of the working world and how it can be great fun with the TLD crowd. I’ve also seen just how a hot cup of tea or coffee can put a smile on anyone here!
Keren and the team have taught me, and made me more advanced in several areas of skills. From the basics, like how to effectively manage my time to the more difficult techy business! Using a number of programs, such as Photoshop, which although I found complex at times, I thoroughly enjoyed as I became faster and more comfortable with using it. In Photoshop I’ve learnt how to do a number of things, from resizing images and conducting blog posts, to even attempting my own infographic! I really loved doing some of my first real copywriting for the TLD portfolio. Providing the first drafts for many, Keren tweaked them and put them up on the TLD site! Very cool to know I’d had an input in that and wrote a blog post that also went up.
It’s fair to say I have learnt loads of new skills, which I will definitely be putting to the test later on. I’ve found new interests and discovered many new things. It hasn’t been easy, but I wouldn’t have it any other way as I really feel like I’ve achieved exactly what I came to TLD for.
So, my overall do’s and don’ts at Top Left Design, which I have learnt through experience, are:
Do’s and Don’ts
- DON’T waste time. I was shocked, yet impressed by the work load I was given, a taste of the future perhaps? Do not fear, once you get the hang of things, the work will flow.
- DON’T say no to a cup of tea or coffee. If someone else is offering to make it, say yes and learn to value that sheer act of kindness. Who doesn’t love a cuppa?
- DON’T feel like asking Google is a last resort.. When life gives you lemons you make lemonade, when life gives you google you make sure you’ll always get an answer. Although no guarantees on actually how much help it is.
- DON’T be cautious. Take risks when learning, to improve!
- DON’T think it will be easy. If it’s too easy then you’re not learning something new! Prepare, with a hardworking attitude, it is rewarding.
- DO ask questions! There’s no need to be shy, just pick the right moment and ask away, the TLD team are always willing to put their experience and knowledge to test!
- DO get it wrong once or twice. I don’t mean to sound clichѐ, but practice really does make perfect. I know from experience it pays off to give it another go.
- DO go the extra mile. Impress the team by doing stuff outside of your work hours, get to terms with the newly learnt terminology maybe.
- DO take breaks. If its well earned, have a little you time to reflect on what you’ve learnt.
- DO say thank you!
So on that note its my turn to say, thank you! To Keren, and everyone at the TLD team for firstly, giving me the opportunity to spend time in your work environment, observing, learning and then doing – hopefully I wasn’t too much of a terrible presence! And making my experience here run smoothly, I felt very welcome and especially liked being part of a TLD meeting. I can say without doubt, I’ve had a taste of the real thing and it was short but sweet. I’ll always stay in touch with the TLD’s whereabouts and take my experience and great memories with me into the future, when looking for the real thing!