Although I am a seasoned social media user, I still meet so many people who find it all so new and overwhelming. If this is you, hello! Don’t be overwhelmed. Social media can be fun, and you can learn so much about your industry – not just keeping up with the latest news, but picking up ideas for you to use in your marketing.
I admit there is a lot to learn. But sometimes, to avoid embarrassment (and everyone wants to avoid embarrassment) you need to know basic ground rules
- Don’t be an egg! Make sure you fill all your profiles properly – with a picture of your face, a well written bio, and your branding where appropriate. Read this article called “Don’t be an egg”
- Don’t be salesy! Use social media to share, inform and promote others. This will mean people see you as interesting, useful and generous
- You don’t need to spend all day on it – you know what your priorities are. But it is important to be consistant with your activity.
- Don’t underestimate the power of a blog – this is a place where you can really share your knowledge, advice, and case studies.
- Don’t talk real numbers! Build relationships online but bring business conversations to real life meetings or email wherever possible – the real deals happen there!
Do the above 5 simple things, and you will already be avoiding the mistakes so many people make on social media.
Send me a tweet at @topleftdesign if you have read and enjoyed this simple – but I hope you’ll agree – powerful – post!