Playing the Facebook Game of Like – it’s not too late!
Posted by Keren Lerner
The “Pre-Holiday Facebook Game of Like” is an idea from two US based social media strategists Dorien Morin-van Dam (originally Dutch, now based in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina) from More in Media and Keri Jaehnig from Idea Girl Media (based in Ohio). I learned about it from my friend/client/co-speaker/social media expert Alicia Cowan.
The purpose of the game is to rev up your Facebook Business Page by joining to an online event which is essentially – a game – and also a competition.
The Pre-Holiday Facebook Game of Like has been runnning since the 18th October and is ending on the 28 October. So, we are really on the home stretch! This game is amazing for those who have a Facebook Business Page and are serious (but not too serious mind you!) about making the most of it! Like anything worthwhile in marketing, there is a learning curve but it pays off.
And at the time of writing I have noticed on Facebook Insights that we got 76 new “likes” on our Facebook page – but really it’s not about that! I have also visited lots of new Facebook page and talked to people all over the world I wouldn’t have otherwise met!
The basic rules are:
- You log in as your personal profile on Facebook and join or “RSVP” to the event.
- On the wall, you can write a message, introducing yourself to everyone. Here, you need to “tag” your Business page. To do this, type the @ sign and then start typing the name of your Facebook business page. This then should come up.
- Then go and “Like” More in Media and Idea Girl Media and say hello on their walls.
- You basically then go and look at other people’s pages, and if you want, you can “like” others in the game and leave a friendly message on their walls – also tagging your business name there. If you look on their walls you will see other examples of this.
- Participate in “Like Achievements” – these are great to try even if you don’t play the full game
You get points for doing things like tweeting about the game withe #gameoflike hashtag, doing “Like Achievements” and participating in daily challenges.
Well, there are only a few more days left until the game is ended, but I have to say even for those of you who have a Facebook business page and are reading this, there is are many valuable tips right there for you. It has even meant that I (in order to get some points) updated our Facebook page too with Halloween theme! And I wrote this blog post too!
Learning by doing
If you want to really learn Facebook (for business), meet lots of friendly people and new businesses and really get stuck in on your marketing activity, have a look.
Even if you have just found out about this and feel it’s too late to get properly stuck in, I really would like to see some of you try at least one Like Achievement – even if it’s an easy one like reading the free chapter of the book “Launch” by Mike Stelzner – it’s going to help!
Thanks Alicia for introducing this to me, it’s been fun so far! Now off I go to Facebook to share this post! Please comment below with your thoughts and if you try anything on your Facebook business page please leave me a link!
This entry was posted on Tuesday, October 25th, 2011 at 7:22 pm and is filed under Social Media. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.
About the Author
Keren is the owner of Top Left Design and runs it with passion and drive. She likes writing blogs and encourages clients to actively post blogs on their websites, as there are a multitude of benefits in doing so!
to Top Left Design Blog Updates
Latest from Twitter
- Sharing a little – the briefs I have come up with for my class today!
- “Blogging is a part of my life!” An interview with Karen Haller
- Keren’s interview with T4B Magazine – specifically for UK Financial Advisers – but good advice for every one.
- Healthy challenge of the week – An apple a day…
- Some of my favourite TLD sites